Medina Spinning and Weaving Guild, Medina, Ohio
Article I: Name
The Name of the Guild shall be the Medina Spinning and Weaving Guild.
Article II: Purpose
The Guild is formed for the purpose of promoting, maintaining and preserving an interest in weaving, spinning and in the related fiber arts.
Article III: Officers and Duties
Section I: Officers
- The elected offices of the Guild shall be President, Program Chair, Workshop Chair, Secretary and Treasurer.
- Other positions on the Board shall be Librarian, Historian, Demonstration Chair, Sunshine, Newsletter Editor, Web Site Chair and Refreshments.
- Office of the President, Program, Workshop, Treasurer and Secretary shall be elected to two (2) year terms.
- The Office of the President shall be filled by a current or former Board Member. If Member(s) are not able to serve, a President maybe elected from the membership, provided he or she has been an active member for at least three (3) years.
- The Past President shall also serve on the Board for a period of one (1) year after his/her term has expired.
Section 2: Duties
- The President shall preside at all meetings of the Guild. He/She shall exercise supervision over the Guild, and shall perform all duties pertaining to the office.
- The Program Chair’s major duty is the organization of monthly programs. He/She shall perform all duties of the President during his/her absence or during his/her inability to act.
- The Workshop Chair shall be in charge of the workshops and shall perform the duties of the Program chair in the event of his/her inability to perform the duties outlined in Section 2 (B).
- The Secretary shall keep the minutes of the meeting of the Guild Board and shall maintain records and perform duties as required.
- The Treasurer shall maintain the financial records of the Guild including full and accurate accounts of all moneys received and paid by him/her on behalf of the Guild. The Treasurer shall have custody of the funds of the Guild. When necessary, he/she may endorse checks on behalf of the Guild. He/She shall deposit the Guild’s funds, to its credit in such banks and depositories as designated. The fiscal year of the Guild shall be from September to August each year. The Treasurer shall provide monthly financial statements at each Guild Board meeting and submit a year-end financial report at the Guilds Annual Meeting.
- The Historian shall keep a complete record and history of the Guild.
- The Newsletter Editor shall construct and edit a monthly letter of upcoming events, general information and member news. The Newsletter is a digital document provided to members on a monthly basis, except during the summer. A hard copy will be provided to those without email access.
- The Website Manager will maintain the Guild’s web presence providing information on the Guild both for members and others interested in the Guild. Content will include but is not limited to Guild meetings, workshops and news.
Section 3: Operation
- The Board shall have the power to do such things as they feel are necessary for the orderly management of the Guild, and/or its membership, provided they do not violate the intent of the by-laws. Policy changes must be submitted to the Guild membership for ratification.
- The membership shall be notified and approve of all donations (not expenses) made by the Guild.
- The membership shall be notified when it is necessary to reduce volumes in the Library. Items will offered for sale to the membership for first refusal. Any funds from the sale of Library materials shall be used toward the purchase of Library media or supplies.
ARTICLE IV: Membership
- A Member of the Guild is any person who pays the annual dues. Membership in the Guild is open to all persons interested in the objectives and purposes of the Guild. Each member shall be entitled to one vote.
- The annual dues, payable in advance, shall be fixed by the membership. The dues shall be in the form of a donation to the Guild due in September; and all those making a donation will receive a copy of the Guild Directory and newsletters.
ARTICLE V: Meetings
- The annual meeting of the Guild shall be on the Third Tuesday of April at 7:30 pm
- The meeting will be announced in the Guild newsletter.
- Elections of officers shall occur at the annual meeting each year. The slate of candidates shall be presented and nominations may be made from the floor. In the case of contested positions, secret ballots may be used.
- Special meetings of the Guild may be called by the President or by any three of the officers, but notice of such special meeting shall be sent to each member at least seven (7) days prior to the date of such meeting.
- Members attending a meeting called in adherence to Article V shall constitute a quorum.
- All meetings will be conducted according to Robert’s Rules of Order.
ARTICLE VI: Amendments
These bylaws may be amended at any meeting called for the purpose, provided written notice of the meeting is given to each member of the Guild at least fourteen (14) days prior to any such meeting.
Approved at Medina Spinning & Weaving Guild’s annual meeting April 16, 2013